All the State Chapter Presidents and Secretaries of IRIA
Greetings from IRIA HQ!
We would like to draw your kind attention on the following points with respect to wrong implementation of PC & PNDT Act and role of CSB and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India.
1. In the last Central Supervisory Board meeting held on 5th April, 2016 at AIIMS, New Delhi, which was attended by Dr. O.P. Bansal, President and Dr. Jignesh Thakker, National Coordinator for PNDT; IRIA was assured to stop the harassments to Radiologists due to (i) not keeping Copy of the PC & PNDT Act, (ii) not wearing of Apron and (iii) non display of board, (iv) minor clerical errors in filling Form F etc. An Expert Committee was formed by the CSB on the proposed amendments received on the PC & PNDT Act and it was assured to solve the matter of harassments to Radiologists within two months.
2. After more than four months of the CSB meeting, and six weeks of the meeting of expert committee constituted on amendments which was held on 4th July, 2016, IRIA did not find anything positive in the minutes as no decision was taken seriously considering the amendments to the PC & PNDT Act, which is against the spirit of discussions held in the last CSB meeting. The expert committee meeting was a complete failure as in the meeting people who have conflict of interest were called.
3. IRIA delegation met with Shri J.P. Nadda, Hon’le Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India on 11th August and informed him that the members of IRIA are going for agitation from 1st September if harassments to Radiologists are not stopped immediately. He did not give any assurance on our demands but forwarded the matter to Secretary, Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India who instructed Joint Secretary (RCH & PNDT), Under Secretary (PNDT) and Director PNDT to call and meet delegation of IRIA. On 16th August, a delegation of IRIA under leadership of Dr. O.P. Bansal, President IRIA met with the above mentioned officials at Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India and discussed our charter of demands in detail. However, the Ministry has recognized the fact that Radiologists are being harassed unnecessary in the pretext of minor clerical errors, but unfortunately, they did not assure anything on this matter.
4. The innocent Radiologists are being continuously harassed by the Appropriate Authorities for minor clerical mistakes, which are being considered equal to sex determination. The highly qualified Doctors who are one of the pillars of the society are being treated as culprits as though they have done blunder mistake in choosing the Ultrasound in Radiology specialty, which is life saving in fact.After more than four months of the CSB meeting, it appears that either the CSB & Health Ministry are unable to do anything or does not actually want to do anything on the matter of harassments to Radiologists under PC & PNDT Act but just linger on the matter. In such a scenario our innocent Doctors (Radiologists) are suffering from injustice.
5. Therefore, it has been decided that if these harassments are not stopped, then the members of IRIA will be constrained to go on indefinite strike from 1st September, 2016 and in first phase we shall not do any Ultrasound and then indefinite stoppage of all Obstetrics Ultrasound till solution of our problems and justice is served.
6. As already mentioned above, we have knocked on all possible doors for seeking justice andrequested all the concerned officials at Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India, PMO, Lok Sabha Speaker, Rajya Sabha Chairman to consider this matter seriously on priority and solve the problems of Radiologists as it would affect the local public in the country at large, otherwise the Government has to be prepared to face the consequences that will arise due to strike, responsibility of which would lie on them.
7. At the time of agitation, all the state chapters of IRIA and its members must achieve wide media coverage and representations are to be given to all district, regional and state Appropriate Authorities/Govt. Officials. The necessary draft of posters, letters and memorandum to various Government Authorities, Media etc. shall be provided by IRIA HQ.
8. We are sending herewith draft letters to be sent to State/District Appropriate Authorities, Chief Minister, Health Minister and other Govt. Authorities of the state.
9. The proforma of posters to be displayed shall be sent shortly.
10. You are requested to inform all the members of your state chapter about this strike.
Time has come when all the Member Radiologists of IRIA need to show & prove their Solidarity and Strength for justice.
Long Live IRIA!
Dr. O.P. Bansal Dr. Pramod Lonikar Dr. Jignesh Thakker
President Secretary General National Coordinator for PNDT
Indian Radiological & Imaging Association
IRIA House, C-5, Qutab Institutional Area
Behind Qutab Hotel
New Delhi-110 016
Tel. +91-11-26965598, +91-11-41688846. Fax: +91-11-26565391